Translate Blog

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Dead Gods


Young one listen well,
I have existed for many thousand years...
I was king and conquerer,
I was lover, I was warrior.
I was perfect and imperfect in my deeds.
I strode with giants, made the heavens
the earth, the stars.
My deeds were known throughout the lands.


In love and war I stood tall above the mountains of the earth.
I was old when the Pyramids were young,
When men spoke my name, it was in whispers of reverence.
Men, fleeting lives they lived,
How I miss them now.

Silenced, for those thousand years.
Turned to dust by the passage of time.
Yet still I prevailed, lingering
In a tomb, or buried, forgotten.
I slept as the dead.

Unearthed, excited men found me again.
Spoke in hushed whispers once more
when they saw my name.  
They came to see me and I lived again.  


Hundreds of years passed again,
The ages of man slipped me by.
Wars, famine, I knew them not.
Great men stopped before my pedestal,
Seeking my insight, I gave Caeser and Napoleon pause.

Another hundred years a thousand, and men came again,
new men with sledgehammers. 
Praising the name another god,
They slew my family, my brothers my sisters.
They slew me.

I lie dying now,
A bit of rubble, dust,
A "false idol".  
I am slain.